I’ve never been one to say no to a good statement piece. Neon coral leather jackets, metallic jeans, chunky vintage earrings — you name it. Over the past few years, however, I have learned to appreciate the chic nature of the minimalist jewelry trend. These types of pieces are especially handy when you’re wearing head-turning clothing, but still want to accessorize without overdoing it. With just a few basic supplies, you can make a dainty chevron necklace that is perfect for layering or simply wearing alone.
– Jewelry wire (20 gauge)
– Pair of jewelry clasps
– 8mm jump rings (4)
– 10mm jump rings (2)
– 3-in-1 jewelry pliers
1. Using the cutting portion of the pliers, cut 3 pieces of wire each measuring 1.5 inches (3.81 centimeters).
2. At the end of one strand, create a loop using the round-nosed portion of the pliers.
3. Repeat at the opposite end.
4. Bend the wire piece in half, creating a pointed bottom.
5. Repeat with the remaining wire pieces.
6. Use two 8mm jump rings to connect the three wire components. This will result in a completed chevron pendant.
7. Connect a 7-8 inch (17.78 – 20.32 centimeters) strand of chain to each side of the chevron wire pendant using the remaining two 8mm jump rings.
8. Connect the jewelry clasp to the opposite ends of the chain.
And just like that, you have a dainty chevron necklace.
If you’re a major minimalist, you can even just use one wire component for an extremely simple necklace.
The simple vibe of the necklace will allow you to mix and match this accessory with practically every piece you own. Layer it on with other simple necklaces, or wear it alone for a look that’s clean and chic.
Photo credits: Kirsten Nunez